Sunday, March 20, 2011

My First Zumba Party


On Thursday, March 17th, I attended my first Zumba party with Sharon and Letica. I didn't know what to expect, but boy was I surprised when I went to the SF Marriott to stand in line for entry. There were tons of people in line in bright colors of hot pink, lime green, reds, and of course, decked out in Shamrocks! I mean...it was St. Patrick's Day, after all.

You honestly would have thought there was a major music star we were all waiting to see. But in Zumba life, the major star was Beto Perez, the creator of this fitness party, Zumba! He was leading the Zumba party while we attendees supported Augies Quest to fight ALS. This Zumba party was a party with a cause and rather than be decked out in our fly skirts, pumps, etc., we were decked out in workout gear, sneakers, and headbands.

Upon entry, there was a stage set up for Beto and his crew along with a DJ and live percussion band. It was freakin awesome, yet unbelievable at the same time. I was really in awe. I mean, who would come out to the SF Marriott and NOT go the the View Bar on the 39th floor?

There were a few speakers to remind us why we were attending this event along with the US Surgeon General, Dr. Regina Benjamin and Dr. Pamela Peeke. Both provided great support to Beto.

Once the music started, Beto said, 'let's warm up' and off we went to WORK IT OUT! It was such a great time and great fun! It was said there were more than 2000 people in attendance and $210,000 was raised.

Attending a Zumba party was way better than going to the club!



http://www.augiesquest.org/
http://www.zumba.com/us/

No comments:

Post a Comment