Sunday, April 18, 2010

Phenomenal Woman


I just wasn't feeling my training this weekend. I don't know what my deal was, but I gave it a shot. After about one mile into my run/walk, I let Coach Mom know that I wasn't feeling it. She suspected something was up because she asked me multiple times if I was tired as we drove to Alameda Bay Farm. Yes, I was tired because I went out the night before. But the truth of the matter, I've gone out on Friday's, before and had no problem training the next morning. I let Coach Mom know that I will do our planned course, but I would walk and run if I could. I began to walk and the sun began to emerge from the clouds. I couldn't help but notice my shadow. My mom, not Coach mom in this case, always told me that I don't walk, but I sashay. After checking my shadow walk, I couldn't help to notice that mom was right! I do sashay!

I went for a walk, today, too. Sunday's are usually a lazy/rest day for me. My schedule will be a bit off the next two weeks because I have school, so I decided to hit the pavement. I'm so glad I went out today. The weather was good, I felt good, and my feet felt good. I got some new sneaks!

I couldn't help but notice my shadow, again today. While listening to my ipod and sashaying along, I thought of Maya Angelou's poem, 'Phenomenal Woman'.

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.


I couldn't remember the exact verse, but I certainly was able to remember that I am a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment