Saturday, January 22, 2011

Giving Yoga a try... again


I'll always try a workout at least once. I've tried yoga about 3 times. All of those experiences haven't been the best for me. I guess I'm a sucker to keep returning to something I've not enjoyed or was successful at.

Yoga on the Labyrinth at Grace Cathedral gave me a new perspective and a reason to say, ' I'm glad I tried yoga, again'. My two co-workers have been going to Yoga on the Labyrinth for a while now and have invited me to go with them. For one reason or another, I've declined the invite, but I've always asked that they light a candle and say a prayer for me.

This past Tuesday, I gave Yoga on the Labyrinth a try and I'm so glad I did. I had the most wonderful experience from start to finish. The instructor, Darren asked the class if their were newbies, of course I raised my hand. His voice was very gentle and kind. He welcomed me, thanked my friends who invited me, and than he introduced me to a 'helper', Laurel. She would walk around to check on me, show me alternative poses, or help me get into poses.

The session begins with a live harpist and vocalist as Darren reads a mediation, which was an excerpt of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speech on the night of his assassination. Afterward, he asks us all to take in a deep breath and let it out, saying, 'OHM'. I felt weird, so I didn't do that, but I did let out the deep breath. As the session continued, Darren took us through downward dog, warrior poses, child's pose, table top, etc. I was comfortable moving from one position to the next with Laurel coming by to ease me into the pose. At times, I would just stay in child's pose.

It was comfortable there. I lay still and listen to my own breath.

The session concludes with Darren reading the same MLK excerpt. Here we are practicing yoga in a Christian Church with people of all ethnic backgrounds and religious practices, but at the end of the day, we're all looking for our mountain top of peace.

To my co-workers, thank you for inviting me to such a wonderful experience. I am so glad I was able to give yoga another try.

And, I was able to light my own candle and say my own prayer.

Namaste and Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you had a wonderful experience. It is a great place to get away once a week and focus on the importance of life and what we have to be greatful for.

    Looking forward to class tonight!

    ReplyDelete