Sunday, August 21, 2011

Healthy Checks, part 2

It's that time of year, again.  Time for my annual physical and mammogram, now that I'm 40.  Awesome time, right?!  Honestly, I look forward to going to the doctor because it's my time to discuss issues from years past that have improved or to address new issues that have begun during the year.  I'll admit, since turning 30, new issues seem to arise, annually.  UGH!!

I spoke with my friend, mentioned in my June 21st post, 'Healthy Checks' and learned that he did go to the doctor for all of his needs and thankfully, he got a clean bill of health.  Another friend mentioned in this post , still hasn't 'found time' to visit the doctor, knowing, statistically, she's at a greater risk of discovering a problem and it could potentially be too late to treat.(http://jyoneserunner.blogspot.com/2011/06/healthy-checks.html).  I became so frustrated and once again, mama j mode.  I care about my friend and I want her to get her healthy checks.


On a more personal level, a health issue was discovered at my appointment, Friday that sent me immediately to the hospital for further examination.  Am I frightened? Hell YES!  At the same time, I'm glad I kept my appointment.  You see, this appointment was originally scheduled in June, but because things were busy at work and I was preparing for vacation, I decided to put the appointment off until after I returned.  I didn't want to go just as I was about to leave in the event some discovery was made.  I also thought about postponing this appointment because I was just back from vacation and was concerned about the amount of weight I had gain.  Thankfully, I only gained 4lbs and I told myself that I would accept the consequence as I couldn't put off my appointment any further.  I'm glad I did.  I don't know the results of my appointment, I will know more this week.  For now, I'm trying like hell to not visit webmd.com to 'read-up' on the discovery. 

I've had a wonderful weekend with family and friends.  I've asked for prayers and that's about all I can do, right now.  Of course, I hope my outcome is great and just something that will have to be monitored, but if it's something terrible, well, my hope is that by putting off my appointment didn't make the 'issue' worse.       

So, visiting your doctor on an annual basis is important for the very reason of discovering 'issues'. 


No comments:

Post a Comment