Saturday, October 15, 2011

Nike Women's Marathon: 2011

On October 16th, I would have completed my 7th Nike Women's Marathon (NWM).  There have been 8, but I sold my bib one year.

This is an event that I register for because I am a legacy (I completed the first 5 NWM), it's coveted by many thanks to the Tiffany finishers charm, and it's an event my mom is most excited to complete because we do it together.

Mom and I have our annual ritual of meeting in Union Square at the Expotique to pick up our bag-o-swag, which includes, our bib, safety pins, coupons, and sample treats from the sponsors.  We also cruise the food and drink areas to see what's new.  We don't hang too long because we leave to dine and talk more marathon stuff and other.  We typically end up at Nordstrom Bistro.  We love it there.  We can always find a light meal accompanied by a delicious drink.

This hasn't been the best trained event, so I'm hopeful my body doesn't turn on me.  Besides, I'm really hoping for muscle memory.  Afterall, this will be my 9th 1/2 marathon under my feet!


I've given mom the pick-up time, 5:30-5:45...in the morning!  I know mom will be anxiously awaiting my arrival with her sneakers on! 

Off we will ride across the bay to wait...until 7am!  For the start time of the 8th Nike Women's Marathon.  There will be lots of people, mostly women. loud music, and thunderous applauds and loud cheers of 'GO TEAM!'.  All filled with the anticipation of the race.  Women (and men) travel all over for this event, many who trained with Team in Training (TNT) and have raised funds for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS). 

Here's to another great walk.  Wish me luck!

To find out more about TNT and LLS, visit:
http://www.lls.org/
http://www.teamintraining.org/
http://inside.nike.com/blogs/nikerunning_events-en_US/?tags=nike_womens_marathon_2011






 

No comments:

Post a Comment