Sunday, December 30, 2012

Learning to walk

I began physical therapy last week.  I must say, it was a day I've been looking forward to since November 9th, which was the same date as my surgery.  I just want to be back to my pre-broken ankle self.

I had already decided that I would complete a 5k in March and Dr. Lundy is on board with my plan and thinks it is an achievable goal.  Now I need to get Nicole, my PT on board, too.

As soon as I said hello and introduced myself, I let Nicole know of my 5k in March goal. She had a question mark look on her face. As she began to get details of why I was in her office the look upon her face appeared more and more doubtful.  I didn't appreciate it and I pretty much let her know it.  With conviction, I let her know that Dr. Lundy approved my goal and she needed to be on board with my goal, too.

Nicole begins her assessments and have me do a series of movements. Her mind seens to be changing about my 5k goal because she informs me how impressed she is with my abilities considering the timeline of my injury.   Silently,  I am saying,  'I told you!'.

The one assessment that choked me up was when she checked my balance of standing on my left foot and than my right foot.  The absolute thought of putting my FULL weight on my 7 week post-op ankle freaked me out! While I had been 'walking' on both feet, I hadn't been putting full weight on it. I was more like sliding and scooting my foot.  I stood there and began to cry because I couldn't do it.  Actually,  I was afraid to do it.  I was again reminded of all the little things I/we take for granted.  I have a long list in my head.  After getting over myself, I did it.  Lifted my left foot to stand completly on my right foot. I was scared, yet proud at the same time.  3 seconds without holding on! I was proud and so was Nicole.

Did you know when you walk, you take off from your big toe?  I didn't pay attention because I am used to well...walking. I am learning how to walk on the entire foot and without a limp.

I had a great first appointment with a lot of new exercises to meet my goals:  To walk without my crutch, wear my shoes (only my uggs and sneaks fit with my brace), and to complete a 5k in March.




No comments:

Post a Comment