Sunday, January 6, 2013

Broken ankle to 5k training, starts now!!

This weekend marked a huge milestone towards my recovery.  Earlier in the week I told myself I would walk one mile at the San Leandro Marina.  It's one of my favorite trails and it's flat.  I've only been walking on both feet for about 2-weeks and I had one physical therapy (PT) session under my belt.  Even after the first  PT session, I knew there was a lot of work and pain that was headed my way.

Sure enough, after my second PT session, I was in a lot of pain, but I wasn't going to be discouraged.

During PT, while there wasn't a lot of progress made, I did celebrate a victory, which I used as motivation to hit the Marina as I had planned.  Rather than push myself too far, my smarter self prevailed and I set out to walk a half mile.  It was such a joy being back out on the trail; crutch and all.  It was just as cold and windy as I had remembered it to be.  That will be my training spot for a while until I get stronger to tackle small hills.  I can't let a little pain stop me from meeting my goal.  Like Dr. Lundy told me when I stated to him completing a 5k was my intention, I will just have to be prepared and have ibuprofen on hand for the pain.

Happy trails to me...until we meet,  again     

Thanks for welcoming me back San Leandro Marina!




   

No comments:

Post a Comment