Sunday, October 28, 2018

#selfcaresaturday



Acts of self-care has been a recent life I've chosen for myself. It's a conscious behavior with purpose and intention to recharge. I typically share on my Instagram channel and use #selfcaresaturday, in conjunction with my therapy session.  I've been in therapy for 10 months and only recently begun to share on a regular basis.  I was mildly ashamed to speak about it openly, but I've found that when I share, I feel so much better and that I'm encouraging others to consider it for themselves. Anyway....

Well, my therapist has been on vacation the ENTIRE month of October. Shade, no shade!


During the early part of October, I honestly found myself in crisis. I emailed my therapist to be reminded with an out of office response she was on vacation, and she wasn't returning until November!
                             
                   (See below Out of office) 


I freaked out more when I noticed I didn't have an appointment scheduled. Thankfully, she confirmed our date, whew!  It calmed me, somewhat, but she also provided me with her 'on-call' person if I needed to see someone sooner.  Thanks, but no thanks! I'll use the tools I had been given to work through my anxiety and panic attacks.

                                             


The week of my mental crisis, I had two social events planned, a fish fry in Pittsburgh, and a house party in Oakland, which is close to my home, Pittsburgh, not so much. And I had plans to go in the Pittsburgh direction, but further the following day. Basically, I'm a lazy driver and wanted to stay close to home, even though I wanted to attend both events. More importantly, I knew there would be good food, company, and lots of laughs! Well, I decided I wasn't going to the fish fry... until the host called to inquire about my RSVP status. I broke the news that I likely wouldn't attend and my friend, let me have it in a guilt-filled way.  Needless to say, I went home, took a nap, and high-tailed myself to my friend's fish fry. I'm so glad I did! The food was bomb, drinks flowed, laughs were big and often. Seeing old friends and meeting new ones was awesome!

Next up...the annual house party, also known as Grovetoberfest! This is a party you really don't want to miss. I mean, multiple DJ's, bomb ass food, drinks a plenty, and dope people! This year, I hung out in the house vs backyard. To see a soul train line happen was epic. The night was epic! I stayed out well beyond my bedtime without one regret!




I awakened Sunday with a full heart. I treated myself to a full recharge of #selfcaresaturday. It was so needed.   I had to call my friend who shamed me for not accepting the RSVP and thank him for reaching out.  The Monday conversation of  'how was your weekend', had the most robust response of  'it was great!'.  


I couldn't be more thankful for the time spent with friends over the weekend and for my community of friends who filled my spirit in an immeasurable way. I was reminded that I need to show up to events, even when at first, I don't want to attend, especially when there will be folks I truly adore!  


No comments:

Post a Comment