Sunday, April 3, 2011

Seeing my people.... one year later

Wow! What a difference a year makes!

While I was waiting to start last Sunday's half marathon, I ran into my College Counselor, Mr. Clark. It's not the first time I've seen Mr. Clark at a run/walk event. One of the conversations was the amount of black people (aka, my cousins) we're seeing out at these type of events. I shared that for a while, I would hardly see our cousins and that in recent months, the number seems to be growing...to me and from my point of view.

(I blogged about this March 28, 2010 if you want to check it out.)

Even at the Oakland Running Festival Expo, I saw my cousins, picking up their race bibs and representing their group as vendors. I am seeing more of my sistah cousins, too. It was a joy to see. I was even on Facebook and saw a group, Black Girls Run! And while searching for meetup groups, stumbled across Go WOW Team Bay Area, which is a Woman's Run/Walk Club. They were even at the Expo. Yes, the above mentioned groups represent the ladies, but the point is, I'm glad to see many of my sistahs out on the trails and run/walk events even more.

Historically, we tend to do more for others than we do for ourselves. If we aren't healthy enough to care for ourselves, how can we care for our loved ones.

Let's go Black people! Keep it movin and congratulations for taking charge of your fitness health!

See ya on the trail!


http://www.blackgirlsrun.com/
http://gowowteam.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for looking us up on the web and congrats on your half marathon. The WOW Team encourages all women, all ages, all abilities, and all places to work out with us! Lifetime fitness and friendship, that's our goal. Check out Christy's walks in the morning for beginner to novice walkers at Lake Merritt if you are totally new. To Fitness! www.gowowteam.com - Coach Stephanie

    ReplyDelete