Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pre-Op

There a quite a few appointments needed to prepare for surgery.  I had my pre-op appointment last week.  I knew the appointment would take at least 45 minutes, but it turned into an hour and a half.  It was a long day.

Dr. Jacoby gave me a play-by-play of what would happen from the moment I checked into the hospital, pre-surgery, and post-surgery.  I was somewhat familiar from my previous surgical procedure; myomectomy.
Dr. Jacoby than gave me my post op orders of do's and don'ts once I get home, and of course, pain prescriptions. 

I had many questions for her, as well.  Of all of the questions I had, I was most afraid of this question: 'can I still be a patient, even though I will no longer have fibroids?'  Thankfully, she said yes!  What a huge relief for me.  She can still be my 'lady-girl' doctor.  Another burning question I had was my last meal.  My surgery is scheduled for 3pm.  With previous surgeries, the doctor says no food/water after midnight.  All I could think about was how grumpy I'd be if I couldn't eat a thing for an entire day.  I wouldn't be so concerned, but I know how irritable I become when I'm hungry.  Dr. Jacoby thought the same thing, but couldn't answer with certainty.  She set up an appointment for me to speak with 'Dr. Feel Good, aka the anesthesiologist.


Lord help me if he says midnight!

During this visit, I of course signed all documents ensuring that I know what procedure I will have, the risks involved, etc.  A weird thing happened as the Dr. was going over that I was having a 'supra cervical hysterectomy' and that we've discussed all other alternatives.  As she was speaking, I began to tear up and than tears rolled down my face.  I couldn't believe I was crying in the office.  It was such a weird moment and very unexpected.  As I shared with Dr. Jacoby, they were tears of relief; an end of a long journey with my fibroid-filled uterus, that caused me such grief.  She had such a soothing an comforting voice.  Another reason why I love her.

After my meeting with Dr. Jacoby, off to the lab I went to draw blood.  My results revealed that my blood levels were very low.  Every category I was below normal or at the very low end of normal.  I shared the results with my mom and she too expressed concern and advised I reach out to my Dr to see if I would need a transfusion.  Mom also told me to eat a hamburger or a steak!  You know...for the iron.

I reached out to my Dr. and while my numbers are low, she doesn't think I will need a transfusion and advised that I take my iron daily.  Oh...did I mention, I am anemic and I know I should be taking an iron pill daily, anyway????  I forget!  Needless to say, since my pre-op appointment, I've been taking iron daily, I've had one hamburger slider, and I plan to prepare a steak for Sunday dinner.  Eating lots of spinach is on the menu, too.

The count down continues....       

               

No comments:

Post a Comment