Sunday, April 28, 2013

Celebrating me: Aloha style!

1st day Iin Hawaii with the iconic Diamond Head

A few months ago, I decided it was time for me to plan a get away.  I needed something to look forward to because until that point in time, I felt the only things I had to look forward to were doctors appointments and physical therapy.  Let me tell you, that is not exciting, at all!

I was feeling guilty about requesting time off from work because schedule accommodations were already being made on my behalf.  I knew in order to move forward with a get away plan, I needed to make my request.  Once I got management approval for PTO, the planning began!!

I knew my trip would be a solo one, so I selected a location I felt comfortable.  Hawaii won and in two days, I was scheduled to go to Hawaii.  As it would turn out, my trip would be the six month anniversary of my broken ankle.  Subconsciously, this trip has become another celebration of getting back to `normal`.

I have been having a blast, thus far.  I have made some discoveries that I haven't thought of until now, but I am working through them.  For example, I can't walk in sandals for extended periods of time.  I had to buy comfy sandals and they have become my new bffs!  Walking on sand is tricky because the slightest tweaks causes some discomfort.  But walking on the sand where the water can hit my feet feels even better.  I have to be okay to sit and take a rest, again because I am not in shoes that provide the most support (sneakers).

At the end of the day, I am smiling, a lot because of what I have been able to overcome. And because I am thinking of those who have helped me along the way.

I am eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment