Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Walk with a purpose


I am still saddened by the events that occurred in Boston.  I am angry and in disbelief.   What angers me most is the fact that whom ever did this senseless act had no regard for life, nor the hard work that goes into training for a marathon. 26.2 miles is far! Google a location you frequent to see how far it is.  Now imagine running or walking there.  For me, from my moms house in San Leandro to my alma mater, SFSU is 26.2 miles.

When I began training for my first full marathon, I couldn't imagine walking that far. But once training begins, you can imagine doing it.  But it is not easy! Marathon training is like having a 2nd job.  It consumes your life.  It's all you do for 3-4 months.

And to think someone thought more to cause harm to many; kill 3, to date without considering how hard people work to train for a marathon? I am angry.  I feel horrible that many did not cross the finish line. Hug their loved one who waited with open arms.  Fall to their knees once over the finish line.  Throw their hands up to God with elation. Cry. Puke. Smile big across the finish line.

And the big prize for crossing the finish line, getting that medal draped around their neck.  Three will never experience crossing a finish line. More than 100 will have to work harder then ever to cross the finish line.

At the beginning of the work week, I had already planned to walk after work Monday and today.  I didn't walk Monday because I worked too late.  But today, I made sure to hit the pavement.

I wanted to walk for those who couldn't finish.  I wanted the people who trained for the Boston Marathon know that their training didn't go unnoticed.

Today, I walked with a purpose.  2.62 miles.  For the victims and particpants of the Boston Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment