Monday, December 22, 2014

Nike Women's Marathon 2014: My finale

On October 19, 2014 mom and I completed the 11th Nike Women's Marathon.  This year will be my final half marathon, for sure.  I'll stick to shorter distance events and/or be the cheerleader!

Every year, I suggest we get a hotel room and stay in the city, yet we never do.  Instead, I awake at the butt-early crack of dawn to pick up mom and make the drive across the bay to 5th and Mission St. garage. We make our way to the start line and wait....usually about 45 minutes before the start.  I don't recall the mornings being terribly cold, but with the closeness of the crowd and the electrifying energy, it's not that difficult to stay 'warm'.   This year the course was changed and I was not a fan.  And from what chatter I caught along the way, I was not alone in thinking.  The course starts in front of Tiffany's on Post, down to Montgomery and eventually along Embarcadero.  For the vistors to San Francisco, this portion of the course is the start of the MONEY views of San Francisco!  Unfortunately, this year with the course change, there was no view of the Bay Bridge, Alcatraz, and it was so foggy that the Golden Gate Bridge was barely visible.  Besides of the lack of views, the course started on rolling hills. BOO!!

 As always, mom waits for me at the finish line.  We grab our bags.  Once we have our bags, I eat my turkey sandwich. chips, banana, drink a chocolate mile, and water en route to the bus.  The last few years, I've packed two so mom would have her own snack and I wouldn't have to share mine!  It's been fun.  This has been our annual event.  We've created some fun traditions around this event.  With this being my last marathon, I guess we'll have to create a tradition around an annual 5k event.  Mom will let me know which event it will be, I'm sure.

Thanks, mom!     





No comments:

Post a Comment