Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Weathering the storm, while you're in the storm

The holiday season is upon us.  The trees are up, lights are illuminated, Santa and wreaths are all around. For many, the holiday season is truly, 'The Most Wonderful Time of the Year'  but for some, it's an awful time of the year.  The reasons vary and coping methods are different. 

I can't recall when the holiday season became a not so happy time for me, but in the last few years, I've been able to acknowledge to myself, out loud, that I'm not truly a fan of the season.  This season, I'm finding it to be even more difficult because for the first time in my life, I have been unemployed for longer than 30 days.

I'm thankful to God that I'm not hungry, homeless, or naked.  I'm thankful to God that I have all that I need and some of my wants met on a regular basis.  I'm thankful to God that I have family and friends to be as supportive as I allow them to be to me.  But sometimes, more is needed.  And for me, a job is definitely what I need!   

Alameda County provides a myriad of services for the unemployed.  One of the services provided is stress counseling.  I'm not new to therapy and welcomed the opportunity to utilize this service.  I've been seeing my counselor for three weeks now and it's been a great experience.  I enjoy sharing my thoughts and fears to someone without judgement. She's providing me with some great coping tools to help me through this transitional period in my life. 

During today's session, I stated that despite my current situation of unemployment, I still look for a rainbow each day in order to remind myself how blessed I truly am.  Terra, my therapist, loved the idea and has given me the challenge to make note of my rainbows for the week so we can discuss them in our next session.  I have accepted her challenge.  Completing this blog entry is actually a rainbow.  I started it last week, but couldn't get my thoughts together to finish.  In thinking of my challenge, I recalled photos taken while in Hawaii to celebrate my 40th birthday.  My family and friends had been on the windward side of the island hanging at a beach where the locals go.  On our way home, it started to rain a bit.  After the rain along with the sun a rainbow usually follows.  I'm so glad I was able to capture this picture.
 
Capturing rainbows is how I will weather my storm, while I'm in the storm.  

                                                             Rainbows over Hawaii


No comments:

Post a Comment