Sunday, October 7, 2012

It's Breast Cancer Awareness Month


Pink Ribbon Car Magnet - Large October marks the beginning of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  It is at this time when you will hear about all sorts of fundraising activities and corporate sponsors in support of raising breast cancer awareness.  There are also lots of products sold with a portion of the proceeds going towards cancer research around this time of year, too.  






Ironically, October just happens to be the same time I am scheduled for my annual mammogram.  As a woman over 40, it is recommended that a woman gets a mammogram every two years unless she has a family history of breast cancer or other issues.  Because I found a lump in my breast, through self-examination in my mid-30s and my mom has had lumps in her breasts, I go annually.  Admittedly, it's not the most pleasant experience of my life.  I mean...who wants cold metal slats mashing their boobs down to give an appearance of a pancake?  Oh, but the best part, the metal ball that is taped on your nipples so the imaging will know 'that's the nipple!'.

I talk about how my breasts are too big, they get in the way, or how I wish they were like a jacket so I can take them off when I don't want to wear them and vice versa, but as my shirt says, 'I love my big ta-tas'. I don't want to be faced with the thought of deciding on chemo treatments, lumpectomy, or mastectomy.


So ladies (and men), do your monthly self-breast examinations and if you're a woman of a certain age, get your boobs mashed!


For support and other resources on Breast Cancer, visit the below sites:

http://www.faithfancher.org/index.html

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/nbccedp/

http://www.cancer.org/

1 comment:

  1. This is so on point Belle! Although the mammogram process IS uncomfortable, the information gathered by it is life saving. I would not be here without out it. I was 28 years old when I had my first mammogram because I had discovered a lump in my breast. It is also important to complete your monthly self breast exam for any changes in your breasts. Early detection is key to surviving breast cancer!

    ReplyDelete