Sunday, October 7, 2012

San Jose Rock n Roll: Mini-style



Today was a HUGE day for me.  It was my first post-op event and my 2nd Rock n Roll Series event.  I had already decided to complete the SJ RnR prior to my surgery, but hadn't determined if I would complete the half or mini (5 miles).  Because I enjoyed completing the 5k in Oakland, I decided the mini would be sufficient for my first event since the Nike Half would be the following weekend.

And what an event this turned out to be!  It was just how I remembered my first RnR event; lively, lots of music; and lots of cheers along the course.  Only, this time, I was able to enjoy it more since I wasn't on the course for eight hours, which is how long it took me to complete the San Diego RnR full marathon in 2004!

It started out with the expo, which includes picking up my bib, swag, and seeing what new offerings are available from food, gps systems, and the like.

 



Once I was all done at the expo, my mom, sister and I headed out for a quick bite and rest.  We knew we would be up a little later since we were meeting some of the ladies from Black Girls Run for dinner; carb load meal at Maggiano's.





Race Day:

I don't typically get nervous, but I had a bit of anxiety sitting with me. As I had previously shared with the ladies, this would be my first post-op event and the most miles I would have walked to date.  I knew I could do it, but still.  We met in the lobby before we all walked to the start to our respective corrals.

A  few pre-race pics with my mom and sister


 





The music was blaring loudly and anyone who was still asleep were sleep no more.  All of the current pop and old rock hits were blasting through the speakers to get the runners and walkers pumped up for their start.  It was an electrifying environment.

And so we're off.....



The RnR series is known for it's live bands, djs, and cheer teams along the course.  That is an awesome motivating factor to get someone on a marathon course.  But with each event, there is the crowd of supporters.  Some are cheering on their loved ones, while many along the way are cheering for complete strangers and just appreciate what the runner/walker is doing.  One of the funniest supporters I've seen, to date were two men sitting curbside with their robes on, drinking bloody mary's, while ringing a cow bell!  Classic and I'm so mad that I didn't capture the moment on my camera.

However, I did see the best sign to date....





Before I knew it, the mini was almost over.  I was feeling good and very accomplished.  I was thinking about how amazing the mind and body is.  Eight weeks ago, I was lying in the hospital recovering from surgery with the full intention to get myself ready for this day.  The first 4-weeks the only exercise activity I could do was walk.  I am firmly convinced that if you set your mind to something, you can without a doubt do it!

And so, with full determination and huge smile upon my face, I completed the mini-Rock n Roll Marathon!






Think you want to complete a Rock n Roll event?  Check out their website as you can go to any state and find your inner-rock star!  Click 'Tour Stops'

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/san-jose

No comments:

Post a Comment