Sunday, October 21, 2012

NWM2012

Cover Photo

October 15th, I set out to walk my first post-op half marathon (13.1 miles).  Going into the event, I was worried.  I hadn't fully trained for the event for starters, but after last weeks mini in San Jose, I felt I would be in trouble.  But, I went out and said I would do what I could do and not feel bad if I hopped in the 'sag-wag'.

As usual, the start is energy filled and the ladies are so very excited as for many, Nike Women.s Marathon (NWM) is their first event.

Mom and I at the start


I started off feeling great and enjoying the beautiful scenery of people cheering their loved ones on; cheering me on as I whisked by them.  Making the turn towards the Embarcadero is always a spectacular sight because of the view of the Bay Bridge, Angel Island, and Alacatraz.  Lots of photo op moments along this stretch of the course.  Also, along the Embarcadero, I look forward to the Oakland Interfaith Choir signing their joyous songs.  Everyone stops and hand claps, dances, and even join in song at this point.  It's so inspirational.

Oakland Interfaith Choir
                

I'm cruising along coming up on miles 4-6 and I'm not feeling to well, at all.  I had been cramping the entire time and taking deep breaths, walking slow, or sipping water wasn't giving me much relief.  I'm trying to decide if I should quit or keep going.  I encounter my former Team In Training (TNT) walk coaches and give big hugs, but also share my pain and that I'm 9 weeks post-op.  I do ask where the sag-wag is just in case.  I keep going.

At miles 7-10 was when I really wanted to give up, but again, I encounter a TNT coach and I let him know that I'm in a lot of pain and I seriously want a ride to get closer to the finish line.  He walked with me for almost a full mile giving me support and words of encouragement.  He let me know that I'd be faster getting to the finish line on my own than waiting for the sag-wag to come back for me.  He also let me know that I had plenty of time to finish the race and to ease up a bit while I tackled the hills.  I was so done and even asked the coach to carry me!  I so appreciated him getting me almost up the hill.

I am starting to feel okay as I can now see the beach; the home stretch.  This is about mile 10-11.  I'm feeling a lot of energy, excitement, and emotion at this point.  I can't believe I am almost done considering I wanted to give up. 

A much needed sign along the course and near the end
                                   
With all marathons, you chat with some people along the way to kill time and to get out of your head.  I ended up talking to and finishing up the last 3 miles with an attorney from Austin who was currently working on a case involving the school district.  I will not go into details of what she shared, but suffice it to say it made the last 3.1 miles go by very quickly!  I was so intrigued and full of questions!  She wanted to run across the finish line, so she took off after we high-fived each other.

I wanted to relish the cheers of the crowd because of all events I've completed and heard the cheers before, I truly felt these cheers were way more deserved.  They didn't even know that several miles back, I wanted to get in the sag wag. 

I was so proud of myself once I crossed the finish line.  More proud than I had ever been before.  Of course, I was looking for my mom who is always at the finish waiting for me.  When I found her in the crowd, I gave her the biggest embrace and cried. Mom had no idea what was wrong with me because I've never cried at the finish.  But I had shared with mom how I wanted to give up many times, because this marathon was so hard and I was in pain.  Mom always knows what to say and to make me feel better.  Tears are wiped away, I'm feeling good about myself and my accomplishment, now we're off to get in line for the bus to head home.

Another NWM in the books.  Next year will be the 10th NWM and my last.  I'm done with half marathons! 

I'm sticking to 5k's, 10k's, or volunteering. For now, I'll enjoy my finish and my new bling!
 
                                                   
  
 The much anticipated 'BLING' of the NWM event; The Tiffany Blue Box!



  

1 comment:

  1. The things we'll do for that little blue box! Congratulations to you. You're a true inspiration xoxo

    ReplyDelete