Saturday, March 9, 2013

I remember when....

My broken ankle experience has provided me with some great learning opportunities.  These last few months since I've been able to drive have been super busy.  To the point that I can't wait for a weekend to, as I say, 'get reacquainted with my couch'.  Thus the title of this entry.  I remember when....  I decided to reminisce of some of the things I thought about while I felt I was 'home-bound'.  In reality, I where I was supposed to be at that moment in time.

I remember when....
  • I wanted to get in my car and go! No place in particular,  but because I could
  • I had to decide between getting my hair cut or going to the farmers market because I didn't have a ride for the day
  • I would reach out to folks for help and got no response until hours later
  • How thankful I was that my friend took bart to pick me up from the airport to drive me home and carried all my stuff up two flights of stairs
  • I would get weekly text messages asking if I needed anything from long time friends
  • I had to learn how to accept help from friends
  • I'd laugh out loud when I recalled funny moments shared with my bff
  • I realized how lucky I am even when I was in the midst of a pity party
  • I felt lonely in my house because I was 'stuck'
  • I prepared a home cooked meal
  • My nosy neighbor offered to take my trash out
  • I appreciated my own surroundings
  • I shared with others how my mom and bff took care of me
  • My big sis prepared breakfast for me and my mom
  • A friend I hadn't talked to in a while visited me and brought me groceries
  • My zumba instructor came by to watch football
  • I couldn't wait to have my independence back 
  • I shared with my mom and bff that I stood in the shower for the first time
  • I thanked my doctors for their great care and attention to detail

I could go on and on with this list.  The point of it all is sometimes, we aren't always satisfied with where we are at a given moment in time. But if you stop and observe you can appreciate how lucky you really are.

I certainly have.

2 comments: