Sunday, March 24, 2013

Mission Accomplished!

Today is the day I set as my intention to make my debut back on the 5k trail the day after my surgery.  I had no doubt I would finish, but the anticipation was agonizing.  I am usually not nervous or anxious before a race, but last night was a restless night of sleep.  And my tummy was upset. Another first!

It was a chilly start and with the metal in my ankle it caused mild pain.  I was prepared with ibuprofen in my bag.  Thankfully, it warmed up and the meds kicked in. But I wasn't totally pain free.  In general, when I do a lot of walking I experience some pain.

I walked with my big sis, Pam. We had an enjoyable time and caught up with new news.  We also walked with a fun bunch of folks with a boom box! Dude serioisly carried his boom box like Radio Raheem from 'Do the Right Thing'. We loved it!  As it turned out, they too were recovering from a broken foot/an achilles injury/leg injury.  We dubbed our group 'the recoveries'!  This was the most fun group I have ever walked with at an event by far.  The best part...we danced across the finish line!

This is what broken ankle to 5k looks like! Mission Accomplished!!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Knew you'd rock it! :o) - Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great bonding experience. You look fantastic!! xo

    ReplyDelete