Sunday, March 25, 2012

Oakland Running Festival: 2012



The Start



Today was the day of The Oakland Running Festival.  This event is in it's 3rd year and they seem to be getting better with each year. They seem very open to feedback, too as there were some slight changes from last year's event.  Another great thing about the organizers of The Oakland Running Festival is they are proud to be 'green'.  The finisher's shirts are made of recyclable materials, you have the option to use your smart phone to provide your registration information for packet pick-up instead of printing the document, and the 'swag' coupons are all e-coupons.  This way, you only print what you want.  I know I typically throw a lot of the coupons away.   

This year, I was a 5k participant and I must say, it felt great being done with the whole thing within an hour rather than the 3+ hours I'm on the course for my half marathons.  There was a spirited vibe in the air, for sure.  I met some friends along the way.  They were proud to say they were from Oakland, as in born, raised, and educated in, but didn't appreciate the colors of the finisher's tee (orange and blue as in Broncos colors) because they were also Raider fans.  The best part of the day, NO RAIN!!

Here are some pics of today's event:



 I took this picture because I hella love hella!



Talk about a bundle of cheer!  Endorphin Dude has a great story and I encourage you to check it out at:

http://www.endorphindude.com/

Cruising through Uptown, I discovered one of my favorite breakfast spots, Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe is now in Oakland on Telegraph!  Yumm...


 The Fox Theater.  I hope to check out a show at this venue, soon. 

Lincoln Park- seeing people practicing Tai Chi, reminded me of when I would go to church with my great-grandmother in the Haight.  We would see many people at Golden Gate Park.





Two lovely shots of Lake Merritt 


 At this point, the 5k is wrapping up and my mom and sister should be at the end, so I will see them before they begin their half.

The woman in the middle, my mom, who inspired my sister and I to do marathons.  Truly a superstar in my book!

  Look who mom and I ran into? Claudia and Sophia.  Last year at this time, Claudia was cheering us on.  Her husband, Rocky was running the half, too.  She's off to Hawaii to complete her post-pregnancy triathlon!  You GO, Claudia!!  Aloha to you!   

It's start time for Black Girls Run!: SF Bay Area

Janine and another BGR at the start 

 
 Mom at the start
Sharla at the start

Now that the full marathon, 5k, and now half marathon have began/finished, it's now the kids fun run.  Oh what a site this was to see.  There were two divisions, but I don't remember the categories.  How about, cute and cuter groups?!




All of the running events are done or in progress, I'm off to check out the freebies before heading home to nap.  I had been up all night listening to the rain.  When my alarm went off at 6:20, I seriously contemplated staying in bed.  I'm really glad I got up!  I would have missed a great time.

I ran into Leslie, BGR! SF Bay Area organizer.  I asked her to show off her bling!  POW!  She's a Black Girl who ran the 1st leg of the relay.  Way to go, ladies!!

Cheers to me and all who completed today's Oakland Running Festival!     
 

What's up next?  Diva's in May and waiting to sign up for Nike.  This will make my 9th and 10th half marathon events.

What's your next event?  Feel free to leave a comment.





 

1 comment:

  1. Great blog and great photos as usual. I am loving the photo of me and my girls!! You all look beautiful. My next event is a 10k in San Leandro at the end of April.

    Congratulations on completing the 5k and remember, it doesn't matter the distance, what matters is you did it!!

    ReplyDelete