Saturday, March 24, 2012

Preparing for an event

Tomorrow is the 3rd Annual Oakland Running Festival.  This will be my 2nd year participating in it.  This event offers something for every fitness level; full marathon, half marathon, 5k (which is what I'm doing), relay, and kids run.  Whew...that's a lot going on in one event in the city of Oakland.

Today is the day I picked up my bib and check out the expo.  An expo is an indoor shopping center for all things run gear.  I usually grab a pair of cool socks or a hat, but not this year.  An expo will also have vendors to promote health (i.e. chiropractors, gait analysis, try new drinks, etc.) as well as a way for vendors to promote upcoming races locally and not.  Often times, those event will be discounted if you register on the spot!  There are lots of people at these events and it's a way to get you pumped for the main event.

Once I'm home, I lay out my outfit (pants, shirt, bra, undies, socks, sneaks), etc.  I pin my bib on my shirt, I get my waist pack ready and fill it with the dry snacks I plan to carry.  I also make my post-walk snack.  I get my water bottles and gator aid (if I carry it) ready to go, too.  This way, the morning of the race, I just get up and go.  I don't have to fumble around to find anything.  Race day is an early rise as the events typically start at 7am.  Tomorrow's race starts at 7:45, so I'll get to sleep in a little bit.  I will charge my phone so I will be sure to have my gospel tunes as that is my typical way to start my Sunday's, anyway.

How do you prepare for your events?   

Congrats to all the runners, walkers, and relay teams on completing your event!  Now...let's pray for no rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment