Saturday, March 31, 2012

Roll...Bounce!

me with my skates

 My friend celebrated her 50th birthday this March.  As a way to celebrate, she had a month long itinerary of activities to allow her friends to join in on the birthday fun.  Last night, was skate night at The Golden Skate.  I've not roller skated in about one year, but it was something I did often as a child growing up in the hood and suburbs!  I even owned a pair of white skates with the metal wheels.

Several years ago, I purchased a pair of skates with the idea to skate along the San Leandro or Berkeley Marinas on the weekends or after work.  I did a few times, but let me tell you, it was not a smooth ride.  I got the wrist guards and knee pads, too!

Needless to say, I was excited to attend the roller skating party.  I could bring my own skates.  We all had a ball, but whoa...what a work out skating is.  We whizzed around the rink once or twice and we were all panting and beginning to sweat.  For some, the focus was more on not falling than anything else. 

The music was playing, we were skating, all were having a blast.  I was quickly reminded that skate clubs meet up often on the rink because we saw the groups 'performing' their choreographed moves around the rink.  They had on their fancy special made shoe skates, skates with lights on them, and the like.  We knew we needed to stay out of their way.  From young children to seniors, all were groovin around the rink having a blast and getting a great work out in, too!       

yup, those skates have lights on them!
If you are looking to change up your work out routine, I encourage you to find your local skating rink and go for it!  It's inexpensive fun, you can make it a family day, or an adult night (most places have adult skate times), and get ready to have some fun and sweat!  To prepare for some new skate moves, google/youtube the movie, 'Roll Bounce'.  



http://www.thegoldenskate.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment